Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Titanic


On the 100th anniversary of the Titanic’s ill-fated voyage

I’ll retell one of my dad’s war stories.


Don’t Drink Gin ?

Picture from Google.

I remember when I was about 8 or 9 my dad telling me that when I get older and start going in pubs I should drink a good bear or if I was to drink sprites I should drink Scots Whisky, or if I had to Rum, Vodka or even Bacardi. But NEVER to drink Gin !
His story and reasoning for this went something like this “ In the Second World War, he was due to be on a troop ship in the morning and he and all his mates had gone into town for what could have been the last time. However as there “was a war on” the only booze left at the bars was gin. Now gin for some reason, my dad claimed made him depressed, (Or maybe it was ‘cause there was no Whisky)  As they thought it may be their last chance, certainly for a long time they all drank this like there was no tomorrow (Literally) So much so that my father did not find his way back to the barracks that night and missed the ship. When the Military police found him (In a gutter) he was put on a charge, but the biggest shock was that the Troop Ship he should of been on had being hit by a torpedo and sunk, with all his friends drowned. He blamed the Gin I actually think that the Gin saved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...