Tuesday, 8 May 2012

100th Blog

 This is my 100th Blog. So why not join me with some cake.
These are simple biscuit type cakes; I derived the recipe from 3 similar recipes to which I had and added some alcohol
 
Mr and Mrs Handley of Garside c. 1850,
Bet they didn’t think they’d end-up on Internet.
I first used these cakes at my “2007 Christmas Overcoat Party” and served them with Brandy Cream, but they are nice just eaten on their own, almost like a grown-up breakfast bar. 
Medieval Oaten Cakes

  • 4oz plain Flour
  • 6oz porridge Oats
  • 8oz Margarine
  • 8oz Mixed dried Fruit
  • 2oz  Water
  • 2oz Lemon Juice or Sprite
  • 2oz Sugar
  • ½Doz Juniper Berries
  • ½Doz Cloves
  • ½ teaspoon Mixed Spice
  • ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
METHOD

  1. Chop or grind with a mortar and pastel the Juniper Berries and Cloves.
  2. Place in a small pan with the water, Lemon Juice or Spite, Sugar, Fruit, and Spices.
  3. Simmer till almost all the liquid as been absorbed.
  4. Allow to cool
  5. Mix the flour and Oats and rub in the Margarine.
  6. Add the cooled fruit and spices.
  7. Press into a deep baking tin
  8. Bake in preheated oven at 180ºC for About 20 minutes
  9. Cut into squares while warm and leave to cool in the tin.
So if you’ve been following me this far, Please stay and If you’re new, welcome and please stay and follow me.
I’m a bit mad and my blogs are very varied.
Hold tight it’s going to be a bumpy ride.
Love App’y
 

1 comment:

Trying To Make Chris An Apprentice, Didn`T Go Well.

It said on BBC Radio 2, that women who are 62 who cannot yet get their state pension till they are 66 were been told by the job centres ...