Tuesday, 1 May 2012

An Eldergoth in Whitby

Our delights started at the Fox and Rarebit where we lunched on excellent Steak, Mushroom and Black Sheep Ale Pies washed down with Black Sheep Ale. We were then only about fifteen miles to our camp ~Long Leas Farm, Hawsker, Whitby. Unfortunately the owners had had to close the field due to all the rain and so sited us on the hard-core access road. This was a bit of a shame as I was hoping there may have been more Goths on site!

Chris by Whale Bones Whitby Goth Weekend 2012
Thursday night was the start of the Fringe events in town and we went to the Sophie Lancaster Foundation Charity Night at Raw. The £5.00 entry fee I thought was reasonable and the bar prices weren’t too bad either. But it is a long time since I were in a proper Night Club and although the DJs played a lot of new Goth music I was treated to some classic sounds from my time, noticeably Temple of Love by The sisters of Mercy, The Cure’s A forest, and Joy Division’s She’s Lost Control.  I loved it and was back in… well, my youth. But I have responsibilities and we had to leave early to get back for Holly. A good night’s sleep followed.
Whitby Goth Weekend 2012
Friday morning after breakfast and walking Holly we headed down for the Bizarre Bazaar held in the Leisure Centre and the Spa Theatre. Purchases included some more ear rings a ring for Chris and I got a dress coat. We also got some Mead and Wine from English Heritage. Then back to base for lunch before we had a drive around the country side, and later we had a drive up to the Abbey car park but we could not gain access at night. Chris had already decided that we weren’t going out at night, so a few cans of larger were consumed as I started to write this. There is no internet access at the farm.
Whitby  Abbey, Whitby Goth Weekend 2012
Saturday, as for Friday; - breakfast and Holly walk, and then back to town for more shopping. First stop The Bring and Buy held upstairs at The Resolution Hotel, Chris found a nice Top and bag. Then we headed down hill to my favourite sandwich shop the Greedy Pig for hot roast pork sandwiches. Had a look in a few more shops and then up to the Sophie Lancaster memorial bench to leave the Posey of black roses we’d made earlier at home. Two of the many things that seem to make Whitby SO SPECIAL are a) the number of multi generation groups you see i.e. parents with their kids and b) the way the whole town seems to join in like the charity shops are full of “Goth appropriate” ware. That left plenty of time to call back at the leisure centre market I’d decided to buy a Top Hat with the money I’d saved not going out on Friday night. Walked Holy and chilled out ready for the night.
Sophie Lancaster memorial bench Whitby Goth Weekend 2012
Saturday Night it was going to be either Darklands at the Resolution or Guilty Pleasures at the Shambles Bar. We chose Guilty Pleasures and were surprised that the admission fee was dropped. We managed to find seats although the club was packed with a whole host of interesting genre of people from Goth though Steam Punk to Pirates and Bikers. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. The bar had a never-ending variety of Ales and Larger on tap. To the unindicted you could be forgiven for thinking you were in either Alice in Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean or Gallows’ Law, but to those of us who better we knew we were in Whitby. Once again the music was my thing with a mix of new and old reflecting the people in the club. I would say ten out of ten for the night and worth the wait
    Sunday morning and woke surprisingly fresh i.e. NO hangover and my ears not ringing, this is good for me any day with my Tinnitus, usual morning routine just before it started raining, wrote a bit more of this while waiting for Steven, Olga and Luka to join us for lunch at the Fox and Hounds, a pub in the village, which was great. But it still kept on raining.
My family came to visit
Sunday Night Still raining hard, but I’m not going to let that stop me having a good time!  One last night of indolence so back to the Shambles Bar for more “Guilty Pleasures” tonight the music was more commercial although totally excerptable, and more to Chris’s liking. Sadly time came to return back to our ‘van for the last night and Monday morning meant home.
One last night of indolence at Whitby Goth Weekend 2012
I have never enjoyed myself so much for years and not wanted to go home.
As we drove home the sun shone more and more, but I felt more and more depressed.

178 days to October !






No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying To Make Chris An Apprentice, Didn`T Go Well.

It said on BBC Radio 2, that women who are 62 who cannot yet get their state pension till they are 66 were been told by the job centres ...