Wednesday, 3 October 2012

I Have Gilbert`s Syndrome.

Image from google
Today the Doctor gave me the results from last week`s blood tests. In a way it`s not as bad as I feared.

I have high levels of Bilirubin in my blood, which is called Gilbert`s Syndrome.
This may cause yellowing of the skin and in the whites of eyes (Jaundice).

But according to the NHS Direct website http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gilbertssyndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx  there can be symptoms of;-
  • Stomach Cramps….. (A bit )
  • Feeling very tried…..(Yes this why I had the test.)
  • Problems concentrating and thinking clearly… (Emmm, yes.)
  • A general sense of feeling unwell……(Yes.)

Sometimes there are certain `triggers` e.g.
  • Being dehydrated
  • Going without food for a long time
  • Stress 
Living with Gilbert's syndrome
Gilbert’s syndrome does not require treatment because the condition does not pose a threat to health and is not associated with any complications.

I had the Blood tests because I seemed to be always tried; now I know why. The doc also said that my cholesterol was good at 4, this was surprising bearing in mind what I eat !

Two nights ago I had a dream, two people who are dead told me that I had cancer. I spent all day Tuesday preparing myself for getting the results.

At the beginning I said “In a way it`s not as bad as I feared” but in another way it is.
This is the worst of both worlds.

There is no treatment because it is not life threatening.

So I will still live to be 70 or so, but every day I will feel shit !
The chances are that cancer would have killed me in 6 to 12 months.

Apparently Relentless  may help, if not I`ll try Whisky… or both!

I well have a more cheerful post tomorrow 



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear there's nothing that can be directly done for you, but very glad to hear it's nothing as serious as your dreams were presupposing.

    I won't be equally presumptuous and offer any advice - you know best the way your body works and how to support it.

    But you have my best wishes for a long future, with no decline in quality of life. Cold terminology, but meant with all good sincerity.

    ReplyDelete

Spear of Destiny + Rhombus + 1919 at the Brudenell Club Leeds

Some pics from last Tuesday`s gig. 1919 You can tell for which band I made sure I was at the front for Rhombus ...