Sunday, 3 February 2013

A night out, of three parts

Morderstein and The Marching Men, Flock Leeds


The Marching Men
 I arrived at the Library in time to get a first pint and then make my way upstairs before the first band of the night came on stage. The Marching Men are a Sisters of Mercy tribute band and although I am not a great fan of tribute bands as a whole I am a great fan of The Sisters of Mercy.


The Marching Men
So how did it go, in a word great ! I loved them ! They opened the set with Reptile House (one of my favourites) and continued, but perhaps not in this order with ; Alice (one of my favourites) Body Electric (one of my favourites) Frist And Last And Always Emma (one of my favourites) Valentine (one of my favourites) and quite a few more. I didn`t take notes, I was far too busy enjoying myself ! It all ended far too quickly.


The Marching Men
Time for a trip to the bar while few records were played and then on to Morderstein another tribute band, this time to Rammstein, who to be honest I had to look-up on Wikipedia, they were after my time, so to speak , apologies to any  Rammstein fans reading this. According to Wikipedia Rammstein are, and sing in German, their music is heavily Influenced by Kiss, (that is GOOD) and their set uses a lot of pyrotechnics, also good ! So this could be interesting !.... Well no not really, OK they sang it German I think, They were VERY loud I mean VERY VERY LOUD I seen some of the world`s biggest heavy metal rock bands at some big venues, but last night was LOUD ! too loud. As for the pyrotechnics we had a few sparklers I done bigger/ better efforts when camping !! Oh and they went on too long as well for me. Still there were lot of people there who seemed to be enjoying it.

But Flock at the Library is a Goth club and I know it`s a thin line sometimes between the Goth and heavy metal but that line was well crossed!


Morderstein Pic from Flock`s Facebook page Thanks
Eventually they finished and the DJ took up the stand and the night took another 180 degree turn.  Paul played records as if he`d been in my record cupboard at home ! mixed with some new Goth just right. Sadly time now passed to quickly again and I had to head for home, so 2 great parts to the night, one not so good part, but still better than watching Casualty on TV.


Sisters of Mercy about 1982-3 We were all younger back then

4 comments:

  1. I'm not much for tribute bands either, but I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed a group covering Sister's of Mercy. Around these parts the chances of finding such a band are far below zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because The Sisters used to hang around in the same clubs as me in the 80’s and I remember them as the local support act I find it sort of strange that there are now tribute bands, but that may be just my age ?

      Delete
  2. Glad the Sisters of Mercy tribute band played ALL your favourites! LOL

    My youngest used to listen to Rammstein - that's the only reason I know who they are! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funniest thing ~apart from when the singer dropped his mic,~ was a York based band, playing in Leeds, singing in deadpan German voices “Living in America”

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...