Saturday, 25 May 2013

Night at the Gasworks

That`s a Nightclub in Bradford, not a chemical factory. Although Bradford  more or less joins on to Leeds and the city centres are about the same distance from where I live I don`t often go into Bradford, I had a bad experience there many years ago and its put me off for life!  A friend and I had tickets for Siouxsie and the Banshees, for the Join Hands tour in 1979 that was when they split the first time and the gig was cancelled, we had arranged to be picked up at midnight by another mate so  we went for a pint before going to tell  the friend not to pick us up, but one pint turned into 3 or 4 anyway I remember we were running along a street singing Come on everybody when this Police van screeched to holt and 3 policemen jumped out and started questioning us. Now I was quite quiet but Garry started arguing and basely we nearly got arrested. As I said I don`t go to Bradford much.
Back to now. Three bands tonight Spekulus, Bad Pollyanna and headlining Zeitgeist Zero 
Spekulus
First up Spekulus a 3 piece singer, guitar and keyboards later joined by a guest basest for one song the singer had an unique voice that I really liked it went straight to your core, although I didn`t quite catch all the words I liked the sound, one to keep an eye on.  http://www.facebook.com/SPEKULUS
Bad Pollyanna
 Now for the one I`d been waiting for the fabulous Bad Pollyanna I`ve them before but not enough! I`ve seen a few hundred bands at all stages of their careers ! Bad Pollyanna are one that will go far ! They start with a short intro tape but from the moment Valerian hits the drum you know nothing else in the world matters you are in Pollyanna-world, their massive stage presence sucks you in and takes you to a far better place.

Bad Pollyanna
 If any of the band members were in any other band then they would be the person you were transfixed on for the show, but with four such musicians on the same stage you just don`t have enough eyes ! I love all their songs if I had to pick a favourite it would be Hollow or My Incubi but that may change. The set flu by in no time. http://www.facebook.com/badpollyanna
Zeitgeist Zero
 Time to revisit the bar before buying a Tee shirt and CD, then finding a seat, to come down to earth before Zeitgeist Zero took to the stage. Zeitgeist Zero are a fine tight professional band on any other night, on any other bill they are a worthy of the headline spot, but just like a Sticky Toffee Pudding is my favourite desert it cannot follow a good Steak and Ale Pie, you don`t want to forget the taste, and, for me Zeitgeist Zero cannot follow Bad Pollyanna. http://www.facebook.com/ZeitgeistZero It was nearly eleven and this Eldergoth had been up since 6:30 and was beginning to flag time to head home, but what a great night. Now don`t upset the local constabulary.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you got to go to the event; after all, 1979 was a long time ago and you're a more mature person now. It's unlikely that you'd have the same type of problems in Bradford as way back then. It seems like you made the right choice by going to the club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bradford was always seen as the poor relation to Leeds and as I was actually born in Leeds there were not normally many reasons to go to Bradford.

      Delete

If Your Face Fits At Christmas.

In the UK on TV’s Channel 5 there is a ‘Christmassy’ program called Harrogate: A Great Yorkshire Christmas, basically it`s about shops in ...