Sunday, 9 February 2014

The Marching Men, Music of The Sisters of Mercy at Flock 8th February 2014

I had missed last week`s gig at Flock so last night was my first visit after the refurbishment and I must say that my very first impressions were not good at all! On entry into the downstairs bar they had laid a new floor, and with my boots been a bit damp from the rain outside I nearly went flying!
The Marching Men 2014
Having survived that I went into our part and the first record Paul was playing was Mud`s Tiger Feet from about 1974 or 5. Once upstairs I was greeted by new lights, the Gents had been repainted and it looked like the stage was a bit higher with a raised part for a drummer……..A pity really that The Marching Men use a drum machine like The Sisters did.


Tim Synystyr of The Marching Men
The Marching Men started their set with Reptile House and work thought their repertoire of Sisters classics including but not limited to Detonation Boulevard, Mother Russia, Alice, Body Electric and First And Last And Always. Of particular note I liked the covers (Of covers, that is) Emma, Jolene and of cause Knockin ` on Heaven`s Door which they ended with. My only criticism is I don`t remember quite so much smoke “Back in the day”


The Sisters of Mercy “Back in the day” 1980’s
Once again Paul and Howard played some brilliant music, but there`s always a time to leave and sadly that came around all to quickly.


The Sisters of Mercy “Back in the day” 1980’s

4 comments:

  1. Maybe they were inspired by todays Sisters of Mercys shows. I was at a Sisters of Mercy gig in Stockholm 2011 and the scene were completely covered in smoke, the only member barely visible were Andrew Eldritch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you have said that it makes sense to me I was away from the music seine doing family stuff from about 1988 until last year so I have missed so much and I still sometimes live in the past!

      Delete
  2. I'm not quite sure how I feel about tribute bands. It's just my opinion of course, but I always ask myself why any band would want to sound just like somebody else. I do enjoy hearing covers however, but there's usually a bit of originality thrown into those. Still, the Sisters created some great music and I bet it was great listening to so many of their songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all in all it was a good night. However I have read on Facebook that Tim the singer has left the Marching Men. We are due another Sisters tribute band in I think May The Sisters of Murphy from West Yorkshire, UK, not to be confused with a band of the same name from The U.S.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...