Monday, 17 March 2014

It Should Not Happen to a Gardener, But It Does

At work this afternoon I was happily cutting a lawn and hardly heard a rumbling noise then an alarm sounding. Then I noticed a Fire engine stop outside with its blue lights on. At that the Lady of the House came out and asked if I was “soon leaving” I said “No are we on fire?” She replied “The electric as gone off!” The trouble was that the house has electric gates and they were closed with me inside! I claimed over the railings and asked the workmen who had now arrived want had happened? It turned out the noise had been a sub-station blowing up! And it was going to be a long time before they could hope to have the power back on.
It shouldn't happen to a Gardener, the gates
A few telephone calls to the client and it was decided that I should remove the electric powered control aim from the gate post so we could pull the gates open.

It shouldn't happen to a Gardener, the gates, after 

4 comments:

  1. At least you were able to get out of there. I sure wouldn't have liked being closed in for hours on end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that house is one of the most far away from my home that I do, so I didn`t want to leave my car and get a bus home till morning and even then the power might not be back on.

      Delete
  2. Another good reason for choosing a manual gate over electric, hey? Good grief, was anybody hurt when the substation blew up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody was hurt. It just goes to show how much we relay on electric now a days

      Delete

Trying To Make Chris An Apprentice, Didn`T Go Well.

It said on BBC Radio 2, that women who are 62 who cannot yet get their state pension till they are 66 were been told by the job centres ...