Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Ilkley Cemetery

The spa town of Ilkley now a days described as been on the A65, but really on the River Wharfe in West Yorkshire was the birth place of my wife and only half an hour away from home.
At Ilkley Cemetery
As with many Yorkshire towns whilst embracing the 21st century still keeps an oldie worldly feel to parts of it.
At Ilkley Cemetery
Nowhere more so than in its cemetery, when we visited last July, we found it very well kept and although most graves were old there were fresh flowers on some.
At Ilkley Cemetery
The cemetery seemed to have rather a good collection of Christian Crosses with grand carving on.
At Ilkley Cemetery
I have put here a link to the Wikipedia page for Ilkley… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkley

At Ilkley Cemetery

The usual Don`t even blink At Ilkley Cemetery
 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely cemetery with lots of stone crosses! We have several lovely cemetaries in my town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I still have pictures of 3 more to post yet.

      Delete
  2. I think cemeteries in both your country and the rest of Europe are absolutely fascinating. Your countries are much older than mine and I can just imagine how delightful it must be to live in a place where the older and even ancient ambiance remains alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As much as I am a “city boy” I love to find the quiet and the old places. I live on the very edge of Leeds and so I have the best of all worlds. Two generations ago I would have been described as a “Proud Yorkshireman” Not in a racist or nasty way but I am very happy with where I live and what the county as to offer weather it is in its natural landscape, architecture or people.

      Delete

I`m been stalked by a Skip company.

5 emails and 2 ‘phone calls in the last 24 hours! From a Skip company. When does this officially become stalking?