Wednesday, 11 February 2015

The Columbarium at Lawnswood Cemetery.

In the New Year I returned to Lawnswood Cemetery to remove the Christmas Wreaths I had placed on my parent`s grave. I always have a walk around different parts of the cemetery
The Chapel at Lawnswood Cemetery.
Because it was the weekend, and no services were happening I decided to go down to the Chapel where I came across this wall plaque.
Plaque on the wall of The Chapel at Lawnswood Cemetery.
Another area where I don`t usually walk is to The Columbarium.
The Columbarium at Lawnswood Cemetery.
Built in 1933 by A E Kirk and Tomlinson, of Leeds is now grade 2 listed.
Looking inside The Columbarium at Lawnswood Cemetery.
Inside are tiers of niches containing cinerary urns and memorial plaques. There is also a War Memorial.
Outside of The Columbarium at Lawnswood Cemetery.
I hope that`s rock salt on the floor by the open plaque!

2 comments:

  1. So, is the columbarium a place for cremated? We don't have columbariums in Sweden, we bury the ashes in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people choose to have their Ashes buried or scattered either in a cemetery or maybe at a favourite place. According to Wikipedia Columbarium goes back to Roman times! Link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbarium

      Delete

Spear of Destiny + Rhombus + 1919 at the Brudenell Club Leeds

Some pics from last Tuesday`s gig. 1919 You can tell for which band I made sure I was at the front for Rhombus ...