Monday, 16 January 2017

Martinfest 2017

Martin`s birthday bash and fund raiser for Martins House Hospice.
Where do I begin? I guess as I walked up to the venue where Martin was outside looking a bit worried. We shuck hands and I enquired to his worry, he was wondering where Edward and Rob had got to as they were due on stage in 55 minutes, he himself was on with his first band The ELerators in 5 minutes, we went in and before I got to the bar met Andy, also from The ELerators, but of Rhombus frame.
Martin
So, bar, upstairs, paid in, and met the rest of The ELerators just before they started, also met Gary (Ace photographer) and Howard from Carpe.

I was practically pleased to see The ELerators some of whom are going on for my age, and could be called `first generation Punks` I worried as the headline band at last week`s Carpe had declared themselves “The Last Punks On Earth!” maybe they meant youngest or most modern Punks on Earth?
The ELerators
Anyway they`re NOT. The ELerators play classic Punk covers and are about having fun. As per usual they finished with Plastic Bertrand`s Ca Plane Pour Moi. Great stuff.
By now more friends had arrived and many hugs and hellos were quickly done.
Andy
Edward and Rob still hadn`t arrived so in true Punk sprite Dave Sharpe jumped in and offered to play half of his set now till they got there. This is the real friendliness that the night was about.
So when Edward and Rob finally came on stage without a warm up, it was a cold night in Yorkshire, even in the centre of the city. They went straight into the set. I do prefer the full `electric` Rhombus with all members and backing sounds, but this was fun, and quick to set up / take down.
Dave Sharpe
Ready for Bobbie Peru, a new band to me and I`d describe as sort of `new punk` enjoyable and the set went quick, even if some songs seemed to me a bit long and verging on I guess metal / industrial- ish.
Edward and Rob
Dave Sharpe returned to finish off his set, then The Expelaires took to the stage. Original Post Punks est. 1979 and all that. “What could go wrong?” Lots of smoke, I love lots of smoke! The fire alarm system didn`t! And activated half way through the first song, cutting the power, we waited with the door open for enough of the smoke to clear 15 minutes later the show went on, but had to be shorted because of the live music licence laws.
The Expelaires
Now been in a room without music enabled us hear for once what each other were saying, which all too soon had to be goodbye.

A great night, thank you Martin and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If Only The Whole World Could Work Like This.

On Saturday night, I went to see three great bands, at my regular Goth Club. Sunday, I received a `Friends request` from the lead ...